Traveling to mosquito-prone regions anytime soon? Plan ahead to avoid itching your entire vacation!Photo Credit: Flickr/John Tann
How can I prevent mosquito bites while traveling?
Be prepared! Here are 5 tips to protect yourself from these blood-thirsty buggers:
1. Use Vegan-Friendly Insect Repellent.
There are plenty of vegan mosquito repellents on the market but here are the two I have found and enjoyed:
• Repel Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent – I found this to be pretty effective. It’s deet-free, lasts up to 6 hours, and doesn’t smell horrible.
• Sky Organics Bug Spray – I used this India and it smells great! It worked most of the time, but sometimes it was a miss. This insect and mosquito repellent is made with organic essential oils. Ingredients include water, Soybean Oil, Castor Oil, Citronella Oil, Lemongrass Oil, Lavender Oil, Rosemary Oil, Cedarwood Oil, and Peppermint Oil.
2. Keep Covered.
Wear long-sleeved shirts, pants, and hats to cover up exposed skin.
3. Sleep in Rooms with Air Conditioning.
Mosquitoes do not like cold air, but rather prefer the heat radiating from outside.
4. Use Bed Nets.
If you are sleeping outdoors, mosquito nets or mosquito net tents are essential for keeping the critters out. Some that are popular with travelers include: Eco-Keeper Bed Bug Tent or Kamp-Rite Insect Protection System.
5. Make Yourself Smell Horrible to Mosquitos
According to research, mosquitos are heavily attracted to people who have consumed beer, sweets, salty snacks, and potassium-rich foods. Whomp. All things many people enjoy. Apparently they hate garlic and apple cider vinegar. Food for thought!